Table of Contents
Overview of Mold Induced Asthma
When mold spores get into your lungs, it will trigger asthma symptoms. Symptoms may include chest tightness, wheezing, shortness of breath, or coughing. This reaction is typical when you have an allergy to mold. Symptoms will only get better with proper treatment and cleaning of the home.
Causes of Mold Induced Asthma
Mold grows in dark and damp places. Asthma symptoms are triggered by breathing in these mold spores. Mold spores cannot be seen, but they float through the air both indoors and outdoors. There are hundreds of types, and nearly everyone breathes them in but only certain people will have a reaction to them. The reaction is to the mold spores and not just the mold completely. The cause of the reaction is due to the immune system recognizing the mold spores as dangerous.
Treatment of Mold Induced Asthma
To begin treatment, it is recommended to deep clean your home and remove the sources of mold. The first step in removing mold from your home is to find the source of the mold and fix the problem. The main rooms where mold are found is in the laundry room, the kitchen, or the bathrooms. Begin by washing off the mold, cleaning, and drying. Make sure that your home is cool and dry by keeping the air conditioner on and use a dehumidifier when necessary.
Aside from cleaning, treatment for mold-related asthma is just the same as other asthma. Your physician may recommend various types of medications. Speak with your physician about your symptoms and create an Asthma Action Plan.